Want a job that involves you helping your community?
We are looking for a friendly, attentive School Crossing Guard dedicated to the safety of our children!
We service the North and West Toronto, providing a highly visible, advanced level of safety at a variety of locations in a professional, competent, and courteous manner.
The primary responsibility of guards is to ensure a safe environment for all people crossing specific intersections or roadways, through proper understanding of traffic laws, and good judgement when creating the opportunities to cross the road.
What you will do:
• Balance traffic flow and pedestrian flow with a focus on children’s safety
• Exercise sound judgement and determine safe gaps in traffic to allow pedestrians to cross
• Communicate clearly and effectively to crosswalk users regarding safe crossing practices
• Oversee the safe conduct of children when approaching, using, and leaving the crosswalk area
• Work every school day in split shifts surrounding school bells (excluding school holidays)
• Must be punctual and stay for the entire scheduled shift time
Who you are:
• Successful candidate(s) will be required to submit a clear vulnerable sector check from an accredited police service prior to gaining employment
• Must be able to work Monday-Friday on a daytime rotation during the normal school year and summer school times
• Must have availability for all three shifts- Morning, Lunch & Dismissal
• Must be willing to travel to various crosswalks within our region (North York and Etobicoke)
• Possess general alertness and be extremely observant of surroundings and must be able to move briskly and repeatedly in and out of the intersection and stand for 45 to 90 minutes for all shifts
• Be able to stand for an extended period while carrying and raising a “STOP” sign at shoulder height (weight of approximately 1 pound) for up to one minute frequently
• Possess courteous and pleasant demeanor and can interact effectively with children, pedestrians, school staff and other patrons
• Have good vision and hearing to effectively see and hear oncoming traffic from a safe distance
• Must be willing to work in all forms of weather, including extremes of heat, humidity, cold, rain, snow, sleet, and wind and be capable of working under road conditions with exposure to traffic noise and some exhaust from vehicles
• Must possess strong verbal skills in English.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Casual Salary: $15.68 per hour