Full-Time Instructor – English for Work and Essential Skills Program
JOB OPPORTUNITY AT PTP ADULT LEARNING AND EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMS!
We’re looking for a Full-Time Instructor to join our team.
Title: English for Work and Essential Skills Instructor
Position: Full-time contract
Location: Dundas/Kipling West Training Centre, Danforth/Pape East Centre, and online
Reports to: Manager, Supporting Newcomers to Integrate into the Canadian Workplace
Duration of the position: October 2020 to March 31, 2021, subject to funding availability
Posting Date: October 6, 2020, Closing Date: Open until filled
Are you passionate about teaching? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of newcomer adult learners who face barriers to learning and/or employment? Are you willing to go the extra mile?
PTP, a leader in adult literacy workforce programming, is looking for a full-time instructor to work with newcomers to Canada whose goals include improving their English for work, learning employability skills and workplace customs, and preparing for interviews. This is a new IRCC-funded program for Permanent Residents, Convention Refugees and Protected Persons who face barriers to employment.
You will be responsible for lesson planning, materials preparation and classroom delivery of the program. You will be expected to keep up with changes in the field of newcomer adult education, to integrate new programming initiatives into your lesson planning and to maintain, through development and innovation, programming that achieves the highest standards in newcomer adult education practice.
- Delivering classes and facilitating groups online/onsite
- Preparing lesson plans and materials that incorporate a holistic approach to workforce English
- Creating and maintaining a positive learning environment that respects the experiences and needs of newcomer adult learners
- Providing on-going feedback to students regarding their work and progress
- Attending meetings as required
- Working with the Program Manager to ensure compliance with IRCC criteria
- Adhering to PTP policies
- Undertaking other assignments as required
- A post-secondary degree in a related area
- TESL certification
- Knowledge of adult learning theory and demonstrated experience with adult learners from diverse backgrounds; experience teaching essential skills an asset
- Ability to be self-directed but flexible; organized and meet deadlines; ability to work independently with minimal supervision but collaboratively with the manager and other staff
- Ability to work with disadvantaged populations using supportive and encouraging methods
- Ability to manage multi-level groups and continuous intake
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and human relations skills to interact effectively with diverse student and staff populations
- Intermediate computer skills and experience with online learning
If you are interested in this position, please email your cover letter and resume (as ONE  file) to:
Carolyn Watson, Program Manager, Supporting Newcomers to Integrate into the Canadian Workplace