Get a Food Handler Certificate
About the Program
This specialized program will help you improve your employability in Canada’s fast-growing food industry. Successful participants will receive a Managing Food Safety Certificate that is nationally recognized and valid for 5 years. The certification meets the requirements of Ontario’s current food handling regulations and is recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Topics covered in this training include:
- Food safety regulations
- Food hazards, food handler hygiene and illness
- Cooking and holding times and temperatures
- Purchasing and receiving
- Food safety programs (HACCP), facilities and equipment
- Cleaning, sanitizing, and pest control
This is a 6-week comprehensive program delivered on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with 18 hours of instruction followed by a 2-hour final exam. The program is free (funded by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development).
- This program is open to Ontario residents, 19 years and older. Priority is given to those with a Grade 12 education or less. Transportation support is available if you qualify.